Re: [MV] VIC-1 Waterproofness

From: Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 21:10:54 PDT

Years ago I worked for a company that made them and we tested every one by inserting a special
fitting in place of the pilot lamp, then pumped them up to 14 PSI while submerged in a tank of
water. If there were no bubbles, and there usually wasn't, they were good to go.
All of the O rings were coated with silicone grease as well as the gasket on the rear cover. If
there was a leak it was usually due to the assemblers forgetting a O ring around one of the
connectors, or a cracked connector due to over tightening.
If water did get in there was no damage as long as you turned it upside down to air dry for a few
days.
I'd say that you probably won't have a problem, most combat comm gear is designed to be water and
dust tight.
Regards,
Buzz