Re: [MV] M35 rear axle conversion

From: DDoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 05:15:58 PDT

The single vs dual wheel discussion around the G-742 (aka M35) is almost always gotten backwards.

The truck was designed to be built primarily as a single rear wheel truck.

This was a result of extensive testing which indicated that larger single wheel tires yielded superior off-road performance to the dual wheel tires as typically used on WWII CCKW.

I know that the Army Equipment Board of 1950 recommended single tires, and that wasn't the first such recommendation. I believe that was merely affirming the recommendation of either the 1945 Cook board or 1946 Stillwell board, but I have not verified my recollection of these.

The minutes of the Conference on Qualitative Requirements for the Tactical Type Ordnance Transport Vehicles, 26 May 1949 says, "The basic 2 1/2-ton and 5-ton chassis are equipped are equipped with extra large single tires to provide optimum flotation and mobility under adverse soil conditions. For vehicles requiring maximum tire load capacity or flat-bed body, dual tired chassis are provided, both short and long wheelbase."

The test vehicles were XM34, and the first production vehicles, ordered in June 1949, were as well, however on the 1953 contract, all the cargo trucks were M35. There were though several M44 single tire chassis on the order.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle