Re: [MV] Gear oil

From: Keith Markeson (kmarkeso@chartermi.net)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 12:44:21 PDT

I run Amsoil in the axles, differential, transfer case, and winch on my 1971
M35A2 and have been very happy with it. I contacted their tech department
today asking about the GL-5 eating the soft metals in a transmission. Below
is what they replied with:

You'll notice that the rating on this product is GL-2 through GL-5. It also
carries the API MT-1 rating signifying it to be safe to soft metals.
Although the statement you heard is generally true for most gear lubes, the
special chemistry of AMSOIL gear lubes allows for these multiple ratings
safely.

So apparently the MT-1 rating is what you want to look for if the gear oil
is of an EP type

Keith Markeson

1971 M35A2

1953 M105A1