RE: [MV] Real hard steering Deuce

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 13:25:51 PDT

There are some nuts and bolts in vehicles that need certain torques, or parts that need the right amount of shims. Sometimes a tech or a motor pool mechanic doesn't know better, and will just tighten the nut or bolt as much as they can. Tighter grip, more friction, harder to steer... Sometimes they'll make a big mistake by servicing a vehicle and mixing the shims up, or replace parts and won't recalibrate the shims to the correct standards per the TM.

I know that on my jeep, that the front knuckles need to be properly set with shims so they are not too loose or too tight. Too loose, and you risk blowing out the knuckles if you hit a hard bump. Too tight, and the steering gets really hard and you have more wear and tear.

I've never worked on a Deuce, read the TM, or really looked at one to see how the steering system works, but I bet it's due to a similar situation.

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1