Farby stuff,and MVers vs. reenactors

From: Kirk Gustafson (kgustafson@ssd-inc.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:18:11 PDT

Hi Hank and others,

I was quite impressed with your description of the terms "farby", etc., but wonder if you're
missing the point. I've been lurking on this board for several years, and only recently
started reenacting (Dec, 2002). As you indicated below, "farb" typically indicates
non-authentic, or out of place. This is not restricted WWII reenacting. I know people who
reenact several time periods, and have an "impression" for each. This would be similar to a
person owning several MV's. Each one has parts that are appropriate for that vehicle. Just as
most MVers would not think of putting a WWII Willys MB carb. on an M915 truck. It wouldn't
fit, and in fact, would seem "out of place".

On the subject of "farby accessories", I have a few of those, if your talking about
reproduction items. I am a big guy, at 6'2 and 205 lbs. and would have a heck of a time even
finding an "authentic" uniform in my size. Even if I did, I am very uncomfortable with the
idea of me wearing an authentic historical piece out in the field as we "play soldier", and
take the chance of damaging and or ruining it. If I can find an authentically crafted
reproduction, that appears "appropriate" for the time period, that will be my choice. Of
course there are a few other items that I carry with me that are not "period", including tooth
paste and tooth brush, and a cleaning kit for my rifle. I own a couple of period toothbrushes,
and even the old time "tooth powder", but when it comes to brushing my teeth in the morning, I
really prefer to use my own!

I am sorry that there appear to be such hard feelings between MVers and reenactors, and hope
that events like the WWII Convoy though Missouri will start to bring some of the members of the
two groups together. In much the same fashion as this convoy was organized, others could be
planned that might include Vietnam reenactors, and the appropriate MVs for that era; and the
same could be true for other eras as well.

I have heard the term "stitch nazi" applied to some reenactors, related to their insistance on
"absolute authenticity", but then I also know several from this list who have a similar mind
set when it comes to "authentic" parts for their WWII slat grill.

I hope that I get a chance to meet you some day, perhaps after I get started on my next
impression. I haven't decided if it will be Vietnam or Korea. Either way, I'll be trying my
hardest to put together an impression that honors the soldiers whom I portay.

P.S. I can't vouch for how ofactorally <sp?> repugnant my excrement is, but I am sure it
smells as much as the next guys :)_

>>Ronzo:

>"farbing up" or "farby event" or just a "farb" is a term we used in the
>brigade of the America Revolution during the bicentennial ( I know Joe is
>going to jump in and say it was an NSSA term in the '60s, he's probably
>right).

>It means non authentic, not protypical for the period, out of place. A term
>of distain and insult from people who think their excrement is not
>ofactorally <sp?> repugnant.

>If you steer clear of the reenactors, you will not have to deal with the
>concept. We accept everyone at the MVMVC (Well I do look down on the people
>with pre M series stuff, but what the heck, most of them have so much rust
>and bondo, there is not enough real metal left to be melted down and made
>hot roll stock for my blacksmith shop).

>If you like I will take you to critique the "self proclaimed" purists
>vehicles and equipment and I am sure we can find some farby accessories...

>Call me in the AM, I'll be on the Nextel

Hanko

--
Pvt. Kirk Gustafson
134th Infantry WWII HRS