Re: [MV] A low tech M1009 problem.

From: Michael J. Hill (wild800@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 15:36:58 PDT

ICH and List,

        Its funny I was just talking to a couple of other M1009 owners at "Big
Bear" about the same thing. There is a tool that is used installing
these babies.(clinch nuts) So perhaps after removing the bolt you can
locate a local mechanic or shop that has one of these. They are very
common in auto body as this is the same method in fastening truck
mirrors etc. on doors. Once the bolt is removed it can be recrimped.

        Couple of methods that came up are, using a needle nose vise grip to
hold the rim of nut and removing bolt. If they are the bottom nuts they
can be reached from behind by going up between the inner and outer sheet
metal with good sized set of channel-locs and a helper. Filing two flat
spots on the edge to get a open-end wrench to hold it. Also good to do
with the vise grip method.

Soak with favorite Lubricant of course.

On the M1009 antenna bracket kits from Saturn Surplus it has the through
bolt set-up for installation in the field or converting to Phase II of
the M1009.