Re: [MV] M101A1 tires too expensive - anyone have a source for M101A3 axles?

From: Glenn Shaw (wolf.star@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 14:06:27 PDT

Hi Kev
I have the M101 with the 9:00- 16 tires. The newer version M116A1 with the
hydraulic brakes and 8 lug CUCV wheels and the M1101 with the brakes and 8
lug HMMWV wheels. I have had 4 dodges and numerous deuces with the snap
ring wheels.

If the snap ring 2 piece wheels are in good shape there is nothing wrong
with them. They are easy to change right in your own garage and are not
dangerous for a person who knows what to watch out for. Definitely have
someone show you how to do it the first time. 9:00 X 16 tires are only
about 80 bucks (Denman) and will last a lifetime on a trailer. Skip Coker,
185 is a ripoff. If you can get a truck tire shop to change them for 25.00
each and dont want to do it yourself that is a good price. For the last 2
summers now it seems that people near me have been getting flats at the
rallies I have been at and I have been breaking out the irons and hammer and
changing the tires/fixing flats for them right out on the rally field. Its
a little work but I enjoy being a help to someone when I can. If you really
like your present M101 then throw some new rubber on it and forget it. It
will last for years. If you feel that you want the brakes and 8 lug wheels
then IMO the best thing would be to dump the M101 and buy the newer trailer.
There are plenty of them for sale and there are plenty of buyers for the
M101 who have M37 and M715 trucks with the 9.00-16 tires. The brakes can be
a nice feature if you haul with the trailer loaded and use a light tow
vehicle.

Later
Glenn
MVPA MTANJ