Engine oil

From: Mike and Cheryl (mleaton@netins.net)
Date: Sat Apr 19 2003 - 18:41:57 PDT

I went to Carquest today to buy a case of oil fro my 52 Dodge M37
(3/4 ton Cargo truck). I usually buy the Valvoline Non Detergent 30
weight. Older guy behind counter told me he didn't have a case of it and
said their carquest brand oil is made by Valvoline and the SAE 30 heavy
duty motor oil was the same. Looking at the back of jugs after I got home
I read "A single grade lubricant designed with the newest detergent
dispersants additives for modern engines." along with other stuff it also
a API SL and SJ rated

SL Current For all automotive engines presently in use. Introduced in July
2001.
SJ Current For 2001 and older automotive engines. Introduced in 1996.

I am about to return this and get my old Non detergent (I haven't used it
yet).
My old truck does have some sludge built up and I don't want anything to mix
it in
with the engine.

Who is right can I assume that this is the same oil as the Non Detergent.

Thanks
Mike in Iowa
mleaton@netins.net