Re: [MV] Engine oil

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 15:34:23 PDT

Mike

Do not assume the fellow behind counter (be he old goat or young
whippersnapper) knows what the is saying. Some do, some repeat company
line, others just talk to hear themselves rattle.

My .02 cents about oil - and I am not an expert on oil.

I agree with your decision to return oil.

Many years ago Gulf Oil Purchased the company I worked for and shortly
thereafter had a meeting for all the people that ran facilities they had
just purchased.

Meeting lasted two days while they went over Gulf products, The oil
"expert" spent half day on oil.

He told us that there were two kinds of oil - Texas grade and Pennsylvania
grade. Made no difference where the ground was that it came from; the basic
makeup fell in those categories

He said 99% oil company oil was from Texas grade crude.
He said 99% aftermarket oil was from Pennsylvania grade crude.

He went on to say that when oil came out of spout at refinery it was still
different and each kind was about the same until marketer (Gulf, Texaco,
Shell, etc) put their additive package in

Same for aftermarket oils.

He went on to say that just because you purchased oil with a parts store
brand that the next time it might not be same oil. They purchase it on
contracts that are given on a bid basis.

He said to be safe do not mix aftermarket with oil company oil. There had
been a few cases of this done and the crankcase contents turned to a
substance the consistence of Jell-O, especially if there was some
anti-freeze contamination.

We were told that whatever we were presently using to continue with it until
consumed then switch to Gulf. If we had been using an aftermarket oil; when
time came change oil and filter then switch to Gulf. When company made
semiannual inspection this would be one of the things they looked for.

Kicker was we were told one particular brand of aftermarket oil was to be
removed immediately, if we could not return it for credit to the place we
purchased it we could return to local Gulf distributor and receive Gulf
replacements at no charge. He said and I quote "this stuff is not good
enough to oil roller skate wheels". I was not using this brand, I had been
using Gulf at my facility already.

If interested write me off list and I will tell the brand.

This was some 30 years ago and things could have well changed but I have
followed the advice I got then and have never had engine problems that could
be traced to lubricant used.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any information about
"re-refined oils" that several people sell, Wal-Mart for one.

Everette