Re: [MV] Engine oil

From: Santoken (santoken@bright.net)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 14:59:47 PDT

Mike, list,

HD (heavy duty) and ND (non-detergent) are not the same. Valvoline does
produce oils for many of the private labels (NAPA, Carquest, I think
even Kmart, etc).

A standard for motor oils today is to contain detergents. If it doesn't
say whether it is a detergent or non-detergent, then it's a detergent
oil.

How do you decide whether you need a detergent or non-detergent oil?
Glad you asked. A good rule of thumb is whether you have an oil filter
or not, but this may not always the case. Now, if your vehicle has an
oil filter, a detergent oil is probably in order. If it doesn't have a
filter, then normally you want an ND oil. The obvious reason is a ND
oil will not keep the engine debris in suspension. The oils that
contain detergents keep the debris in suspension and carries it to your
filter, where it's removed. Again, this may not always be the case, but
I have yet to see that 'rule' to be broken. While I'm sure that there
are 'old-timers' out there that would disagree with me, if I had a piece
of equipment that had an oil filter, it'd get HD oil dumped in.

Kent