M35 mileage with lockout hubs

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sun Apr 20 2003 - 21:39:34 PDT

The long awaited news is in.

I did a short trip from Dallas to Waco and back. I consumed 19.16
gallons of diesel in 163 miles. This resulted in 8.32 miles per
gallon.

Before the lockout hubs were installed, I got 7.7 miles per gallon.
This was during the trip from VA to TX in which I brought the M35
home.

The error margin is about 1 gallon, as I tried to fill the tank
exactly to the same level each time, but as we are aware, a gallon is
only about 1/3 inch of the level.

Now before anyone says that 8% improvement is not much, consider that
I am carrying a S-280 shelter weighing 2500 lbs at 50-55 MPH, which is
like pushing a brick wall through the wind.

Without the obscene wind load, I beleive the mileage increase would be
even better, as the overall load would be quite a bit smaller.

Next week, I will go from Dallas to Austin and back. A longer trip
will reduce the error. I will keep track of the mileage then, and
report again.

In any case, I am very pleased with the extra acceleration and
mileage. Yes I do put my foot to the floor to get up them hills.