Re: [MV] CA regs for hummer

From: Nathan Wilkens (nathan.wilkens@asu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 23:02:50 PDT

Can't speak for California, but I can speak for Arizona, with similar
emissions laws.... Arizona has emissions for diesels (so I'm sure Kalifornia
does as well) - it's an opacity test on the rollers with the vehicle revved
up to 45 mph. The diesel can't have more than 20% smoke (or 20% opacity as
they say). The problem I have with my CUCV is that the emissions flunkies
get in, start the test, and cram the pedal to the floor until they reach 45
mph. Of course, this causes the nastiest, biggest black cloud I've ever
seen come out of my CUCV (bigger than the cloud I reserve for tailgaiters),
and between the roar and the smoke, it usually sends the emissions flunkies
running for cover.... The good news is that it has passed fine for the last
two years (despite the cloud), and it always causes the flunkies to come
over and ask me about my truck (where did you get this? Can I buy one?)...
Hope you find the info useful,
Nathan Wilkens