Re: [MV] Removal of broken exhaust manifold bolt

From: Fred Martin (mung@in-touch.net)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 15:19:44 PDT

Michael...as a machinist (if that helps)...you might have to take off
the manifold and if you are lucky...maybe enough of it is sticking out
for you to use a liberal amount of penetrating oil (read..a few days)
and be sure and tap on it several times (this helps the penetrant get in
to more area...the vibration thing) before you attempt it with your vice
grips. Just try to wiggle it...not screw it right out. Wiggle and add
more penetrant and tap...then if it moves some...get a little
braver...go some more. If none of this works or if you twist it off back
in the hole...all is not lost. You can take a piece of flat
iron...should be about one inch thick (use a drill press for
this...straight true hole) to help hold it on center and drill a tap
drill size hole in one end and in the other end a clearance hole for the
nearest threaded hole near it and carefully line the tap drilled hole
over the broken off bolt hole and tighten a bolt in the other end to
hold it on center and drill it out with a electric drill If you don't
have room to do all that because of space...consider cutting the twist
drill off to a shorter length and resharpening it. Sacrificing one drill
is no biggie. Another way is to weld a nut on the stub of a bolt
sticking out...let it cool so the weld will solidify good and try
it...sometimes the heat of this will expand the bolt some and contract
upon cooling and break loose the scudgies that are holding it. Now...you
are as smart as I am on this job and it's all MV related guys. Fred Martin