Re: [MV] Removal of broken exhaust manifold bolt

From: Mark Ehle (markehle@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 15:51:29 PDT

Sometimes,if enough of the stud is sticking out, you can weld an oversized
nut onto it. The heat from the welding causes the stud to expand,
compressing the rust, and you can screw it out.

I had torched off some bolts that held the rear bumper on my pickup. It
wasn't until after I did it that I realized that one bolt on each side
actually threaded into the frame. I welded on nuts, and shazam - I was able
to wrench them out.