Re: [MV] Electrical Problem/Trailer Hookups

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 18:14:40 PDT

>Does anybody have a good way to wire 12 volt trailer
>lights? I plan on towing a camper with the M35 and
>could use some advice. A thought was to replace the
>bulbs with 24 volt ones but the electric brakes are
>still an issue. Standard Ignition sells a $100 24 to
>12 converter but it is only good for 4 amps. I really
>don't want to change the truck over and I want to do
>it right to avoid problems later. Any advice is
>greatly appreciated.

You can now buy LED tail and marker lights that run on 8 to 32 volts (or
some range like that). The normal LED tail lights work on like 8 to 16 or so
but they also have a higher voltage series. Check out K-D or Peterson. This
is what I am doing with my trailers now, this way I can put one set of
lights on the trailer and it will work with a 12V tow vehicle or a 24V one.
The only down side is I have not yet found a LED license plate light yet,
but with all the white LED flashlights out now a days, I bet it's only a
matter of time.

later,

je