Re: [MV] The metric system in America

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 18:58:38 PDT

>I don't really see how different thread rates make things hard. There
>are short and long tons still now. People still sell wood by the
>cord, wheat by the bushel, Nautical speeds are still Knots (not KPH)
>and most things are still measured with ounces, pounds and tons.
>
>Metric isn't inherently better in any respect as far as measurements
>go excepting for the ability to do easier math (is that a bonus or
>does it promote dumb-ing down?).

If we really want to get into the concept of standardizing things for the
greater good of mankind, then why don't we attack some of the other big
issues as well, such as:

Which side of the road to drive on, right or left?

TV signal formats, have you ever looked into how many different signal
standards there are around the world?

Time, now here's a good one. We're all supposed to change to metric because
it's so easy to use for the average person, well lets see, 60 seconds on a
minute, 60 minutes in an hour, but 24 hours in a day, but most paces have 12
hours in a half day one being AM the other PM, but then 7 days in a week
and.... how may days in a month?? well geee's what's that old rule? But then
12 months in a year but of course leap year throws all that off and off
course there are other longer term corrections. Then add to the mess 24
seperate local time zones. If the big stong point of metric is that
everything is base 10 then what are we doing fooling around with this time
system? For a good start we should all be on UTC, no time zones, no daylight
saving time, just plain old UTC or GMT whichever phrase you prefer.

How about this one, in practice the unit of weight is KG's but the Gram is a
unit of mass not weight and they are not the same. To be correct, and the
supporters of the metric system always want to point out how correct and
simple it is, the proper unit of weight is Newtons, so how many Newtons do
you weigh???

enough, silliness.

Back to MV's. So how many people realise that the gama goat has two oil
pickup tubes and two oil pumps and two relief valves? I guess they are
serious about operating for extended periods of time at high angles.

later,

je