Re: [MV] GL requiring demil 1 yr after sale

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 07:42:11 PDT

> It appears this started in the summer of 2000 with Section 361
>"Demilitarization of Significant Military Equipment". Followed in the
>summer of 2001 with Section 921 "Demil of S.M.E."

The Government clearly stated that they wished the Demil bill be passed
so that they could go back and grab stuff that was sold, legally, but by
accident. For example, the lister who detailed what appears to have been
a FLIR system he bought (or something like that) which never should have
been sold. But of course the legislation was horribly vauge which is
unfortunately the norm. Those who pass legislation love to give
themselves as much freedom of action as possible.

> In the summer of 2002 you may recall the discussion we had on "[MV] No
>more BDU's .... !"

I'm personally still waiting for confirmation that this went into effect.

>Now in the summer of 2003 we're discussing the
>demilitarization of legally purchased commo gear.

Sounds like someone thought these radios had some sort of characteristic
that would pose a security risk. Therefore, they should never have been
sold in the first place (see above Demill bill). However, from what
other listers have said (which is only one side of the story) this seems
out of place. Perhaps someone at the DoD made a mistake and flagged the
wrong radio. Never, ever forget that Governments screw up by accident as
well as on purpose.

> Another military collector's site that I read is the NFA Group, of
>Class 3 weapon collector's. It came down this weekend that the ATF has
>taken a sudden (?) interest in legally purchased MG parts kits. In
>particular the demilled receiver block of FN FAL's, and demilled
>trunnion's of PPsh-41 kits. These receivers have been torch cut in
>accordance with ATF guidelines, purchased legally, and now the Fed's want
>to confiscate them back.

Are you sure they were torch cut? Some other lister here stated that
their interest was in ones which were saw cut to specifications which are
not current. What I took it to mean is that they were cut according to
the legal requirements of the day, but were sold after the regulations
changed and therefore were supposed to have been redone prior to sale or
redone by the current owner. I doubt they are getting back anything
which has already been remanufactured by a Class II gunsmith.

> Has anyone here noticed any other governmental similarities this summer
>?

I wouldn't read too much into this beyond the same old same old. I don't
see any connection between the BATF and Demil things that wouldn't
require a rather substantial stretch. Well, beyond the rather obvious
post 9/11 tightening up of regs. I'd be *FAR* more concerned about the
two Patriot Acts since these conflict with the Bill of Rights not just "I
bought a radio I really don't need and now they want it back".

The Government always has, and always will, have the authority to change
the rules at any time for any reason. As long as the fine print states
that these rules can be retroactive, there is nothing illegal about it.

Steve