Re: [MV] MILDOCS.COM -- Deep Keyword Search Site for Electronic TMs...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 12:16:40 PDT

Hi Ronzo...

>Jim, a couple of questions, if I might.

Of course!

> 1) Does your site have all the -10 Operator manuals, or just a few,
>since the ETM site considers them "RESTRICTED" from public distribution ?

The -10 manuals for various vehicles and equipment are mostly all
available freely on the web, even though they're marked as restricted
on LOGSA. If you search for "title <ENDS> -10" on MILDOCS.COM, you
get 50 matches. Are there specific -10s you're looking for?
MILDOCS.COM has all the ones I looked for (deuce, 5-ton, CUCV, etc.).

> 2) Does your site have more manuals available to us than the ETM site or
>are your manual offerings different to the 'Official' folks versus what you
>are allowed to offer the great unwashed masses?

We have all the unrestricted ETMs that LOGSA has, and I know we have
many that LOGSA considers "classified" but are readily available on
eBay and so on. If LOGSA has an ETM marked as "restricted" and we
find it elsewhere on the web, we will include that ETM in the
collection and remove any previous restrictions so it is available for
searches and downloads.

To clarify, we have collected these ETMs independently of LOGSA, and
LOGSA or the federal government have not provided us with any ETMs
that are not available to "great unwashed masses".

The real benefit of MILDOCS.COM is the ability to find information.

> 3) Are NSN numbers searchable, like from other pay companies, with end
>item ID other than 'medical use' designations like we get on the public
>access sites? Or do you have to search specific -34Ps?

You can search for NSN numbers in the regular search field on
MILDOCS.COM. It will find that NSN number anywhere within any manual,
but it will not tell you what the item actually is. We have that data
available in our databases, so I think it would be a good idea to add
that function soon. How would you and other listers like to see the
NSN search work?

> 4) What happens if you don't get enough subscribers (people like US) to
>cover your costs since the Gov't gets a free pass, and your company pulls
>the plug on it in several months, ala Photo Point?

Our costs were already covered by the previous version of the system.
MILDOCS.COM will not go away. Our company is in its 14th year right
now and doing fine.

But we do hope that you will all support our efforts by subscribing.

I have added your questions to the FAQ section.

> 5) How ya doing on the M35 50 cal mount kit?

Not much progress yet, but hopefully soon. Kind of a low priority
right now.

> Wish I'd thought of the idea.... ;->

You mean MILDOCS.COM or the machine gun ring kit?

Thanks!

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET

Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com