RE: [MV] Mixing batteries

From: Glen Closson (glen@closson.com)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 17:23:53 PDT

One issue is that in a series circuit (the two 12V batteries in series) you
always have the same current flowing through each cell (Norton's current
law) if you are charging or discharging. So if you have different
chemistries, once battery will probably charge up faster than the other one,
so the first one may get over charged.

When you discharge the batteries (the most load they see is when cranking)
one battery may act like a limiting device for the "better" battery.

This also applies to mixing a new battery with an old one.

My guess is that is okay for the short term (emergency), but you will see
decreased total battery life and performance for the long term.

Regards,

Glen