Re: [MV] MILDOCS.COM -- Deep Keyword Search Site for Electronic TMs...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 14:17:47 PDT

Hi Everyone...

Wow, have we been swamped with messages like this one!

It seems that a LOT of people would like an enhanced NSN lookup
feature on MILDOCS.COM!

>I am only a casual user of this list but I have been repeatedly frustrated
>by not being able to find a NSN or item of equipment by NSN. I think we
>would ALL be extremely interested in a system whih listed all current and
>previous NSN's and their descriptions. If NSN's are reused over time (are
>they?) it would be great to see something like:
>
>XXXX-XX-XXX-XXXX
>AN/PRC 25 Current
>AN/PRC 12 Previously
>RC 292 Previously
>ETC,ETC
>
>I would pay More for that feature!

First, I don't think that NSN numbers are ever retired. That would be
too confusing I'm sure.

requests for the enhanced NSN lookup, we've been burning the midnight
oil for all of you to research the feasibility of this, and we have
determined that we WILL be able to offer this enhanced NSN lookup to
you very soon!

The way it will work is like this:

  1.) You enter an NSN or NIIN in any format (dashes or not)

  Behind the scenes, the MILDOCS.COM system does all this stuff:

  2.) The system looks up the number and gets the basic info,

  3.) The system looks up the enhanced info,

  4.) The system looks through 22,000 ETMs for the NSN,

  5.) The system flags all ETMs that contain the NSN,

  6.) The system checks each ETM to see what equipment it is for,

  7.) The system looks up the nomenclature for the equipment,

  8.) The system looks up the NSN for the equipment

  9.) Finally you see a display of the info you want:

      o Your original NSN or NIIN
      o Verified NSN or NIIN (which ever you did not enter)
      o Basic Description of the item (nomenclature)
      o Enhanced Info for the item (specifications)
      o Nomenclature(s) of All Equipment that Uses This Part
      o NSN(s) of All Equipment that Uses This Part

Of course, there is just not information for all NSNs out there, so
the search would not be 100%. We would do our best data mining to
bring all this data together into the MILDOCS.COM system, but I think
we could probably get it up to 90% or so right away.

Would this be cool? I should say, would you all subscribe to this?
(No, we will not charge any extra for the enhanced NSN lookup
feature).

If I get enough "YES" replies or subscriptions, then we'll do it.

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET

Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com