CUCV humor...or Gas baffles..A little long

From: Bruce Beattie (bruce@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 23:01:57 PDT

Ok guys,
    I have had my M1008 for almost 2 years now. I am always a little
paranoid
about running out of fuel, so when I fill up the tank, I always see how
much it took relative to where the needle is on the gauge. So long ago I
figured that if it got to the empty mark,
I had about 2 and a half gallons left, because I just filled it up with
17 and a half gallons
and the tank holds 20...right? I mean everyone knows that when the pump
automatically cuts off the tank is full...
    Well, coming home from work today, I realized it was time to fill
up, but gee whiz I still must have another 2 and a half gallons, and the
gas station isn't that far away. I stop for a red light and all of a
sudden silence....I have been having problems with some vibration and a
miss that I haven't had time to track down completely, so I figured that
maybe the fuel pump died or some such. Started it back up on the second
try. Whewh...A little latter at low rpm it starts to go away again, but
I managed to keep it going. Finally I get to the pump.
I fill it up and it dutifully cuts out at about 18 gallons. I notice
that the fuel is starting to go back down the fill line, so I figure
I'll top it off so I add a little more, then it does the same thing
again, so I add a little more, etc. So when I'm finished I have managed
to put in a little over 20 gallons.
    Now I know just how lucky I've been over the last 2 years...
Just thought I'd share a little friday night humor with you all.
Bruce MVPA 23824