Re: [MV] vapor lock questions

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 02:38:01 PDT

Vapor lock for those of us who still remember generally happens because of
a lack of fuel pressure in the line from the pump to the carburetor.

Fixes.
Number 1 fix. Carry a supply of water to pour on fuel inlet of carburetor
and fuel line from pump to carburetor to condense gas from a vapor back to
a liquid state.
Check fuel pressure from mechanical pump. Pressure should be in the range
of 3-7 pounds, the low side will allow fuel to vaporize more readily than
the higher end. If fuel pump pressure is lower than posted you might want
to rebuild the pump to improve pump pressure. Wrap gas lines with good
insulation and move (gently) gas lines away from heat sources to minimize
vapor lock

Last nut not least is the real fix for vapor lock told to me by my
Grandfather he said "Jim don't drive that old heap on hot days, hot days
are any day over 50 degrees"

         I didn't take his advice.

Jim

At 05:44 PM 5/4/2003 -0500, Dave Brubaker wrote:
>I think that I experienced a problem with vapor locking on my M151A2 this
>weekend. Least ways, that is what some of the old salts are telling me from
>our club.
>
>I do not really know a lot about this topic. What's worse is I really have
>no clue how to combat it. I have received suggestions yesterday that
>included wrapping wet rags on the gas line, clipping clothes pins to the
>line, cutting a grapefruit in half and sticking that on the fuel pump (still
>don't know if he was just trying to get me to look stupid or what).
>
>How do you effectively go about combating vapor lock and keep your vehicle
>from looking non-military?
>
>I am sure there are others on the list that may want to know as well, the
>warmer weather is coming!
>============================
>David & Donna Brubaker
>Member MVPA #18115