Re: [MV] Mulit-grade oil for M35

From: Employee@MilVeh.com
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 22:43:22 PDT

I just had a conversation with an offroad engine
builder. He was telling me that Ford has discovered
multigrade oils tend to foam under high stress in
their new diesel engines and has caused some problems.

Heard they have some new direct injection system that
developes tremendous pressure... anyway the builder
suggested Shell Rotella 30 wt. for military engines or
any good grade 30 wt. for it's lubrication properties.
 He was pretty happy with Rotella used in farm engines
that saw really heavy service. So for what it's
worth, just passing this along.

I used 30 wt. in my Rolls Royce B-60 engine and that
was demanded by the factory.. no exceptions! Some very
knowlegable people here run 15-40 and have had good
results... so who knows, maybe it's not that important
on the underpowered deuce engine?

Next, on batteries for the M35 series, the military is
using the new 6TMF battery, which is supposed to be
improved. I think the MF means maintenance free,
anyone know? I bought 6TL's, couldn't find anything
else ($85 ea). Some 6Tl's ran as high as $165!