WWII MV Convoy Follow-up

From: Tim Scherrer (soldierboy440@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun May 11 2003 - 06:47:25 PDT

Here is the skinny on the WWII MV Convoy...

Great success. We didn't see anyone not quite a lot
of fun despite the things we faced...and those
included:

Three Tornado Warnings: One Thursday night after Mid
South MVPA arrived, one Friday night during
registrations where participants were able to watch
the tornado off to the north of Columbia, and a third
yesterday at the winery.

Consistently bad weather: We were always under the
threat of thunder storms. Despite this we delayed the
start 45 minutes to let a heavy storm pass and managed
to avoid any rain except at the winery...and the rain
stopped before we left to return to Columbia.

Major flooding: Just about every low lying area was
flooded. One road we were using had a low lying area
4' of water, which caused us to turn around and added
an extra 30 miles on the trip.

We had a number of no shows due to the
weather...vehicles and pax. We had 25 vehicles show,
stepped off with 21 vehicles, 19 finished.

Everything else went like clockwork...to include many
interesting occurances...like no one even flinching
when the tornado sirens were off in the distance at
the winery, the amish buggy that saw us coming and
almost overturned trying to turn around as we came
down the road, the Omar Bradley cousin speaking, the
local historian speaking, the group picture at the
statue, the TV appearance involving Bob Van Kueren and
Andy Pouncey, my steady Platoon Leader "Dragon" Rob
Dalessandro and I working through the flooded road
issue, the Iowa MP's like madmen blocking the four
lane US 63..something I told them not to even attempt
to do...the list could go on...but it was a great
success...and this will be known as the monsoon
convoy.

We still have a number of XL, 2XL shirts
available...they are sand in color, with "WWII
Military Vehicle Convoy Through Missouri Wine Country"
on the front, and "We Kept Them Rolling" and the
convoy clip art on the back. They are $15. Contact
me at soldierboy440@yahoo.com .

I am sure you will hear someone who came talking about
this event, and you probably think we are crazy, or
the kind of story tellers that start their stories
with "This is no bull, this really happened" but it
really did happen.

Tim

=====
Tim A. Scherrer
CO, 84th Infantry Division "Railsplitters," Reenacted
WWIIHRS and MVPA
Columbia, MO
www.geocities.com/soldierboy440/railsplitters

"You'll be fighting WWII for the rest of your life." Ron Scherrer, 1971