Military 1944 Case LAI (M?) Tractor?

From: Carol Kenyon (Da-Kenyons@webtv.net)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 13:04:30 PDT

Hello, list. Back again.
  My two uber-collector friends have unearthed
and purchased a 1944 (deduced from serial number) Case LAI (I is for
industrial) tractor.
  We suspect it is a CASE LAIM or military
version of said tractor but can't be sure.
  There ARE remnants of OD green paint.
  This tractor came with a front-pto driven air
compressor for air brakes on the tractor as well
as any trailler it pulled. It has a gas engine.
  This particular tractor has dual driving wheels
on each side. Castings on these driving wheels
suggests original equipment.
  Fuel filler cap seems to be military.
  Is there any way to know for sure if this is
the version intended for military use? Serial
number doesn't seem to include the "M".
  If it isn't miltary, anybody know the correct color scheme? Obviously
not the usual Case
"Flambeau Red".
  Front wheels are 20". These aren't split rim.
Tire will have to be persuaded over edge of rim.
Anybody have two fairly soft 20" tires (6.00-7.50) that they'd like to
sell. NDT are OK?
  Thank you for your help.
  Don Kenyon
  Central California