Re: Re: [MV] Rear pinion flange leaks

From: Buzz (buzz@ebuzzard.com)
Date: Mon May 12 2003 - 07:29:33 PDT

No seal can take up play. If the bearing is worn and cant hold the shaft in
 place the seal will continue to fail no matter what. Sometimes the housing
 is worn and the bearing wont seat properly. This will also lead to
 failure. If you can remove the housing it can be welded up and reborred by
 a good machine shop.
Best of luck
-=-
<><

"Horrocks, Aaron" <ACHb@pge.com>
was written successfully
> I have a similar prob on my 1/4 Ton Jeep. The rear axel was leaking pretty
 bad, so I go ahead and replace the seal. Still leaks. I look carefully at
 the yoke, and realize it's slightly worn, so I get an NOS yoke. The rear
 axel still leaks! grrr.

> I ask around and find out that if the valve that lets pressure out is
 junked up or clogged, that oil will seep out the seal instead of
 air-pressure out of the release valve. I soak it, clean it, check it and
 re-install it. Still leaks. Wanting to get a new axel already, I get a bit
 of into that if the bearings or bearing retainers are worn, or damaged, or
 rusted in a spot, etc, etc, it can cause more play in the pinion shaft than
 the seal can account for.

> If it's actually leaking through the splines, I'm sure that there's some
 goop you can slop on there to stop that leak before putting the new flange
 on. Loc-Tite makes all sorts of sealants and gasket forming materials.