WWII Battalion Breakdown

From: Mark Copeland (copeland313@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 17:41:50 PDT

Hello all,

I'm developing a web site (http://www.50thAIB.org) and I have a few questions about the breakdown
of battalions. I've searched all over the web & found none of the answers to my questions (even
tried www.ask.com).

My questions are regarding an Armored Infantry Battalion of World War II.

1. How many companies were in a battalion?
2. How many men made up a company?
3. What were the different types of companies (HQ, Service, Medical, etc) ?
4. What were the different functions of each company?
5. How many platoons made up a company?
6. What were the different functions of each platoon?
7. How many men made up a platoon?
8. How many squads made up a platoon?
9. What were the different functions of each squad?
10. How many men made up a squad?

Vehicle Questions:
1. How many half tracks were in a battalion?
2. How many 2 1/2 ton trucks were in a battalion?
3. How many ambulances were in a battalion?

Are there any x-military/reenactors out there that could answer these questions?

Thank you in advance :-)

Mark J. Copeland
MVPA #23916
Webmaster, First Florida Chapter MVPA &