Re: [MV] Fw: [MV] First Tracks

From: Ryan Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed May 14 2003 - 16:42:27 PDT

At 7:36 PM -0400 5/14/03, Jim wrote:
>As far as era choice, I prefer current. But, unless someone has an Abrams
>for sale at 20-30K, I'm SOL.
>The weasel is a real possibility since I like winter camping upstate NY,
>where the snow can be 4' plus (my deuce doesn't like this), however I really
>like Armor.
>The M75 seems to be the ideal choice right now, but I haven't seen one close
>to me at the right price. 5K in shipping is money I'd rather put into the
>vehicle.

The big problem with the M75 is that it's big. Really Big. Bigger
than George's M5 Stuart. Big to ship, big to store and lots of money.

Small is good. Scorpion or Striker CVR(t) british AFV. De-rated Jag
engine. Mostly modern.

>And, by the way, this is big money to me. I realize this is not a cheap
>adventure, and that's okay (I LOVE this stuff), but I need to be as frugal
>as possible.
>I guess I'm dreaming of an east coast tank resto that the owner has become
>bored of..........
>
>What else is in the price range of an M75?

What price range? Un-restored or restored and operational?

What about an M114. Nice and small. George Baker has great photo's of
his M114 on his site.

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/classpics/6405.jpg
Hotckiss spz, its from '59 but it has a 20mm cannon. £7000 in the UK.
That's small. Not too expensive. That's about $10,000 US.

A British FV432 is certainly an option. Rolls Royce K60 engine,
Allison Automatic tranny, parts are relatively available. £4000-7000
in the UK.

--
--
Ryan Gill              rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |                   |         -==----
   |s|\        /|s|   |s|/BSV 575\|s|   |x|-\|     |/-|x|
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)