Re: [MV] Not another M35 air buzzer

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Sun May 18 2003 - 19:20:12 PDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul A. Thomas" <bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com>

> I'll bite.
> Where might I find a copy, or even reference to a federal standard?

I have been searching for more info, but most of the DOT web sites I have
been searching have nothing about CDL's. I did find a page with info in my
CDL hand book. I quote from it:

"On October 26, 1986, Congress passed the Commercial Motor Vehicle Safety
Act of 1986. This law requires each State to meet the same minimum
standards for commercial driver licensing. The standards require commercial
motor vehicle drivers to get a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). You must
have a CDL to operate any of the following Commercial Motor Vehicles
(CMV's):
a) A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) or more than
26,000 pounds.

b) A trailer with a GVWR or more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination
weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds.

c) A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons (including the
driver).

d) Any size vehicle which requires hazardous materials placards."

I was just informed by my brother, VP of the family company with all the
trucks, and he tells me the air brake stuff has been changed. You no longer
need a CDL to operate a truck under 26,000 GVW, even if it has air brakes.
That is why you see so many new trucks with air brakes and a GVW under
26,000. You didn't see that many 5 years ago because you needed a CDL to
drive any air brake equipped vehicle.

Sorry to use up so much band width, but I think we are talking about matters
of safety here, and you can't overlook that.

Joe Trapp
Blythewood SC