Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers on M35

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 18:14:38 PDT

>Does anyone have one in the front axle? After reading this, I wonder if a
>deuce would be able to steer very well at all in the mud/snow with a locker
>in the front.

I have Detroit Lockers in both front and rear axles of my M715, something I
would not do again (with 4.10 gears also). Having said that, off road the
front locker is not a problem. It's on road where the problem is, if you
forget to disengage the front, you will not be able to turn (very hard to
turn that is). I tried it once to see what would happen, could not turn into
the drive way,had to back up and pop the front out. Another fun thing with
Detroit Lockers is that you can change your oversteer/understeer with the
throttle. If you head into a corner coasting and then hit the throttle while
in the turn you are then driving off of only the outside tire and you will
start swinging out as if you had massive understeer. Likewise head into a
corner coasting then let off the gas (engine braking) and you will then be
dragging off the inside tire only and you will kind of tuck in as if you had
oversteer.

Personally I'm not sure you'd want Lockers with tandem axles unless your
running off road most of the time.

I put a Tru-Trac in my Dakota and I really like it, same priniciple as the
Gleasen Torsen that the Hummv uses. To bad they don't make them for any
larger axles.

later,

je