Re: [MV] M35 Tweeking for power

From: Mark Ehle (markehle@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 06:04:13 PDT

>From: "GOTAM35" <gotam35@sc.rr.com>
>
>DON'T DO IT MAN.

Honestly - when I got my truck, the consensus on this list was that
bypassing the compensator was THE thing to do. When did this change?

All I can say is that my truck needed this mod to make it useable. It was
dog-slow before. I will say, however, that I never floor it, never ever
over-rev it, never lug it to death, and in general, baby it so that it will
be worth something to the guy who owns it next. It is also a non-turbo,
which I suspect is less likely to be able to destruct itself from too much
fuel. If it was a turbo, I would have a pyrometer on it. I have taken it on
100+ mile trips on the highway, and it has never skipped a beat, never
over-heated, and always carries 30+ psi of oil.

I, like Joe Trapp, am a motor genius (if, like Joe, only in my mind). I have
been rebuilding and tweeking gas engines ever since my dad slapped a wrench
in my hand 35 years ago and said - "you fix it, I'll supervise." Granted, I
don't have a lot of diesel experience, but I can tell when a motor is happy.
My truck was not happy before, was after. There is simply no way that it
could have been designed as weak as what it ran when I first got it. Simple
as that.

My opinion about the compensator is that it can only take away fuel, not
add, and the initial adjustment might simply have been to remove mechanical
slack. The fact that the government bypassed it (granted, with a plumbing
switch, not an adjustment) tends to make me believe that the gadget does
nothing of any consequence when running diesel fuel.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, adjusting the compensator did no harm,
and greatly improved the driveability of the truck.

Mark