M35-A2 Pyrometer Info and My Test Data

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 07:31:58 PDT

I recieved a number of replies regarding my post about my egt bing 990 deg
F. After I read some of these replies, some of which were not very nice, I
started to wonder if I was not remembering the number correctly. So I've
found the original post going back to spring of 2001. I in fact lied about
the number, for that I appologise, memory is a terrible thing to loose.

Now if your interested in what I did and what happened, here is a reprint of
that post.

--------------

I installed a K type exposed junction thermocouple probe as close to the
turbine discharge as practical by welding a 1/4"NPT half coupling right next
to the weld line of the flange in the elbow. I borrowed an electronic
thermometer that the thermocouple cable plugs into which has far greater
accuracy than needed but it was free. I tapped a pressure gage into an
unused 1/8" pipe plug on the top of the intake manifold.

Running wide open throttle on the level I made it to 56/57 MPH with a boost
pressure of 11 psi and a peak temp of 885 deg F. I had a number of replies
to my original post that said the limit was 1200 degF and one guy said it
was 900. I have heard the 900 number for after the turbo and 1200 for
before so I'm not sure who was talking about what location. Just last night
I talked to an LD/LDT/LDS expert, at least someone with many years of
experiance. He said 900 was a good number for after the turbine but you
could go to 1000 but you need to start watching it all the time then. He
was surpised that my boost pressure was 11psi, he seems to think that the
pump has already been played with as 11psi is already outside the nornal
operating curve for this particular turbo. His advice was to leave it
alone, other than just do a check on the timing which in most cases can be
advanced if your running only Diesel fuel but he was real non commital as to
wether that was necessary. I think I will check my timing just so I know
where it is as another Diesel expert (who does not know LD's) says that in
his opinion the engine is running retarded. So if that checks out then I
just sit back and enjoy the ride, I never had a complaint with the speed I
just would like to not have to down shift for the slightest grades, but if
that's the way it is then so be it.

So that's the poop. If anyone wants to tap into thier engines and study
this stuff I'd be happy to tell you what I can.

later,

je