Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers on M35

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 17:18:59 PDT

>... People
>that did not know about lockers always thought something was wrong with the
>rear end because of the popping it made in a tight turn, (parking lot).

Another little peculiarity which is extremely subtle but if you know about
it, you can feel it. That being when driving a vehicle with a Detroit in the
rear, when you go on and off the throttle you can feel a very VERY slight
right to left or left to right movement of the front of the vehicle, this is
because you are always driving only on one side or the other, if your
driving on say the left side at that particular moment and you hit the gas,
you will feel a slight shift of the font of the vehicle to the right and
vica versa. Also if you let off the throttle you will feel a shift as the
side that was drivnig now shifts to the other side and the front will sway a
little bit. Kind of fun, as long as you realise what is happening.

All the "oddities" aside, I have no complaints with the Detroits. It must
be put into perspective that on the scale of axle units with a conventional
open diff on one end of the scale and a spool (no diff at all) on the other
end, and then all these other options in between, Detroits (and a number of
product lines using the same principle), clutch type posi's, governor type
lockers, air or mechanical lockers, gear types like Tru-Track or Gleason,
they all have advantages and disadvantages. Everything is a compromise, not
one of these is ideal for more than one purpose, try to pick something for
multi-purpose and your into compromises. It's all in what you want to do,
what your willing to put up with, etc. For me the only down side to a
Detroit is that you need to be aware that you can break axle shafts easier
than with most any other option because the unit by design will only drive
one axle at any particular moment, and full engine torque can be delivered
to that one axle shaft.

happy locking .....

je