Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers with Locking Hubs

From: Recovry4x4@aol.com
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 15:34:20 PDT

Detroits, by design, are mechanical. They have no clutches and aren't set
with preload. They have a ramp mechanism that can disengage either drive gear.
Friction type limited slips had a certain amount of resistance to
differientation, therefore can cause driving malacies even when not under power. Tractech is
right for advising against the installation of a Detroit Locker in a front
axle for exactly the reason this thread keeps going, few people understand them.
I have no fear of a Detroit Locker in a front driving axle because I'm aware
of what it will do. To sell one to an unsuspecting customer and have him loop
out because he didn't know what to expect and failed to disengage his all
wheel drive on solid pavement, well thats not good business sense. I'm sure that
JE will second me on this. Just as a side note, when I lived in the snow belt,
I would leave one front hub unlocked when doing regular driving on snow
covered roads but thats a whole new beast of a subject. Long live the Detroit!

In a message dated 5/26/03 4:10:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,