Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers with Locking Hubs

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 06:59:19 PDT

>The folks that make Detroit Lockers advise against using them in the
>front.

Yes, I had read that 18 years ago when I put mine in. The problem is that
the "Folks" as you say, are the actually the legal dept. I called into
Detoit, I don't think it was Trac-Tech back then but not sure. I got into
the engineering dept (which when your an engineer is easier to do) and had a
nice chat with an engineer. I can't reley to you exactly what he said as
it's been to long, but it basically was the least common denominator
concept, that being that they can't be held responsible, which the would be,
for people not understanding the ramifications of having one in a front axle
and also the safety issue of heading out onto the road with the front
engaged and not being able to turn, or I should say extrememely hard
turning. After speaknig to the guy I made the decision that I was smarter
than that least common denominator that they have to gear everything to. To
date I have not had any problems but they are not for everyone.

My goat and mitey mite both, or I guess I should say all goats and mitey
mites, have posi type units in all axles from the factory, perhaps that is a
way to go also??????

later,

je