Re: [MV] M35A2 Compressor Belt Change...Giant Wrench Needed?

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 21:09:46 PDT

Jim ask:

"I loosened the
9/16 bolts on the pulley, but then I was stopped in my tracks when I
realized I needed a giant wrench to twist the pulley to loosen it.

Is there another trick to this, or do I just need to go get a giant
wrench and twist the pulley?"

Yes and no. You do need a wrench. I changed mine and used a 14" pipe
wrench (with cheater) on the compressor side and a 24" pipe wrench on the
front side. I also spayed it all down with wd-40. I made sure the wrench
on the compressor side didn't dig into the compressor. It was quite the
job. I also had removed the radiator. I believe a big adjustable wrench
would work better. I bet a piece of 3/8 plate cut just right would work
well too. Just be careful not to break the part where you removed the 3/8
bolts. I am a pipe fitter by trade and learned years ago that a pipe wrench
puts a lot of pressure and stress on things. They work off of the old
squeeze principal. Don't let them squeeze on a part that can move and
break.

Good luck,
Joe Trapp