Re: [MV] CJ2A propane

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 07:07:40 PDT

Eric,

>I am getting a CJ2A that has been converted to propane 2 owners ago. What
>should I know about propane powered vehicles? Its my first...

You will never have problems with carbs and the problems of trying to start
one that has sat for some time. With LP, you can hop into a vehicle that
has sat for years, open the valve, crank it and it will start up. That's
the big upside for me. A friend of mine that has a remote cabin in northern
WI has everything he ownes, other than the diesels, converted to LP,
generators, dump trucks, tree chipper, jeeps, etc. On the down side, the
stuff will not work without a tank heater when it's below -40 F or something
like that..

What carb is it, Impco? They are the most common. Also you will have a
second little round device called a vaporizer/regulator, the high pressure
liquid goes in one end, the low pressure (actually a slight negative
pressure) to the carb comes out the other and then it should be plumbed into
the engine coolant to heat it, if you don't it will freeze up into a ball of
ice. Then you should also have either a solenoid lock off valve or another
round device called a vacuum lock off valve, both (you'd only have one or
the other) are more as a safety measure.

Hmmm, I guess lots I could tell you but time is short right now. If you
have any specific questions, feel free to ask away.

Bottom line is if your not going to use the vehicle much, might as well
leave it LP as you won't be fussing with the carb all the time due to bad
fuel these days.

later,

je