Re: [MV] Detroit Lockers with Locking Hubs

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sat May 31 2003 - 11:12:31 PDT

The problem with putting any type of locking or limited slip housing in a
differential that isn't air operated is that when you put the power to the
axles they will tend to lock. That means that your steering will be
compromised, ie understeer will result. That will be most notable when you
are on a solid surface such as concrete, have a load on the back end, hit
the gas and turn at the same time. The lockers will "lockup" effectively
creating two locked axles in the back. When you turn the front wheels, you
will be attempting to turn two almost solidly locked axles on pavement with
one set of single wheels in the front. This will make steering very
difficult. Serious understeer will result and the truck will not want to
turn.

If I were you, I'd try and find a way to put air lockers on all of the
axles. If you are going to do one, you might as well do them all. As has
been mentioned some of the M35s in Norway had air lockers on the rears. I
don't know how that was done, but if they did it years ago, certainly it
can be done again today.

Don't take it just from me, go talk to some guys that run the big 5 axle
dumps trucks. They routinely have locking interaxle diffs, and locking
diffs in the rear axles. They don't use limited slips. Ask them what
happens if they try to turn the dump on dry pavement with the interaxle
diff engaged and the locking diffs engaged. If they can turn, a lot of
rubber is left ont the road.

Good Luck,

Dave

--