RE: MV COMM-NET

From: Caleb Pal, Network Operations (sysop@spitfire.homelinux.com)
Date: Sun Jun 01 2003 - 11:55:37 PDT

Hello list,

The technician class ham radio licence is easy to get. I took the a class
then the test when I was 15. There are a lot of nice people using it, and
you make a lot of friends. For a convoy, a FRS would work, but if you got
seperated, someone went on for parts, etc, you have a much greater range.
And as many have said, you can get a military radio that will transmit on
the ham band, and will complement your vehicle. It is not hard to get, not
that expensive, and a great thing to have. I am on the local Fire
department, and I am registered as a emergency worker because I have the
licence. I have heard of 9 year old kids taking the test and becoming a ham,
it isn't that hard. The CB radio channels are getting very busy, lots of
talkover, noise. The requirement for a licence keeps most of the crazy
people off. All of the Hams I have met are nice clean people. Steve Keith
must have met a bad group. You can get into ham radio for cheap, just look
on ebay for a radio, they go cheap.

Thats my 2 cents

Caleb
KD7KAB