Re: [MV] M1009 CUCV voltage?

From: Richard (metal@fullwave.com)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 21:21:15 PDT

howdy Dave,

I don't know the glowplug system on that
engine...sorry. On my F350 6.9, when the
timer expires, the G-plugs shut off and stay
off.

However, even if the clunk -is- the GP
controller, your voltage still shouldn't
be dropping to 22.

Your GP's probably draw between 20-40
amps. If your alternator is working right,
that level of current draw shouldn't drop
the voltage across the battery more than
.5 volt or so.

If the alt. isn't working, the batt voltage
will be lower to begin with, but still
shouldn't drop more than half a volt with
that kind of load added.

uhhh...that's assuming the batts are fully
charged.... The internal resistance of lead-acid
cells gets higher and higher as they discharge;
allowing more and more voltage drop under
load. If the batts are 3/4 discharged, they might
easily drop to 22v under only 20-40 amp load.

hmmm.....when you say "voltage", you're talking
about the reading you see on the new dash-gauge
you put in, right? Check across the batteries themselves
with a reasonably accurate meter. Is that also dropping
to 22v ?

If it is, and you have known-charged batts, ya
better check and see if your starter is engaging! <g>

That's the only thing on the vehicle that I can
think of that would pull a fully charged batt
down to 12v (i.e. 150-300 amp load, assuming
engine is already running....250-500 amps when
cranking).

hope this helps,

Richard

--