An Honor for Me and My Deuce for July 4th...

From: Jim Newton (jnewton@laurel.com)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 00:02:50 PDT

Hi Listers...

I was asked last week to make my deuce (and myself as the driver)
available to be in the Redwood City 4th of July Parade...

...and I will be driving the San Francisco Bay Area WWII Pearl Harbor
Veterans in my humble deuce!

What a deep honor this will be for me!

The Redwood City 4th of July parade is supposedly the largest 4th of
July Parade in the United States!

The last few years, the veterans have been driven in the parade by the
National Guard with their 5-ton trucks, but this year those 5-tons
(and their drivers) are all deployed or otherwise on stand-by and
unavailable for parade duty.

I applied for the parade with the deuce only to carry our Cub Scout
pack, but when they told me they needed the deuce for the veterans, I
immediately jumped at the chance!

Our Cub Scout pack will be walking behind the deuce, and all the boys
will shake the hands of each of the veterans and thank them for their
service to this great country.

Just wanted to share this.

(PS...the Cub Scouts are excited that they will get to ride to and
from the parade area in the deuce, just the same! They say they feel
honored to "give up their seat" for the veterans.)

--

Jim "Ike" Newton

o 1984 M1007 CUCV Military Suburban 6.2 Liter (378 CID) Turbo-Diesel Engine 5/4 Ton Cargo Capacity, 4WD

o 1971 M35A2 Military Troop/Cargo Truck "Deuce and a Half" 478 CID Turbo-Diesel Multi-Fuel Engine Air Shift Front Axle 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Capacity, 6WD

See These Trucks at www.CUCV.NET Keyword Searching of 22,000 Electronic TMs at www.MILDOCS.com