Re: [MV] You asked for sugestions - what really happens when you buy from GL

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 12:30:06 PDT

Sorry Fred, I guess I didn't need to point out the obvious, did I?

I feel for you. I have thought about bidding on some GL Stuff, but this
EUC stuff is a real pain. I bought my M51 from the GSA along with several
other vehicles and they were a breeze to deal with. Very cooperative. I
know that GL is trying to do what they can, but they seem to be hamstrung.

What really happens when you buy a Mil vehicle from GL:

1. Find a GL Auction that isn't 2000 miles from your place of residence.
2. Find a vehicle that matches what you are looking for.
3. Hope that the description and picture of the truck is reasonably close.
4. Get in your car and drive, drive, drive, to the nearest site, on the
correct couple of days when you can see the vehicles. The fact that this
day is your anniversary doesn't bother you, but for some reason your bride
is not happy.
5. Hope that they have the vehicles numbered correctly.
6. Look the vehicle over and hope that the internals of the transfer case
and engine are actually still inside.
7. Bid and possibly lose the auction.
8. If you win the auction, send money and apply for your EUC.
9. Wait, Wait, and wait somemore. Watch the leaves fall, the snow fall,
write your will, etc.
10. Get your EUC
11. Go get the truck.
12. Drag the beast home and hope that there really are internals in the
engine and transfer case and that the truck is something more than a frame.
13. Buy the necessary parts to make it run.
14. Visit the license bureau in the morning and explain that you really did
buy a truck from the government and it really is big and green and 6 wheel
drive. Pickup carryout for Dinner on the way home.
15. Have the truck inspected by the State Police (in Indiana), then have
the truck inspected again by the Sherrif (in Indiana)
16. Take the certificates back to the license bureau and explain again what
you are doing. (It's been two weeks since you were last there, getting the
cops to visit you with your schedule isn't simple)
17. Obtain your plates and pay whatever fee they dream up, since they can't
figure out how to license a Mil truck, (Yes it in the law sir, but we had
to communicate with Indianapolis to figure out what to do since they
haven't implemented the law, yet. - This is true, remember I'm from
Indiana)
18. Call your insurance broker and try to explain to him why you just
bought a tactical truck like the ones he just saw in Iraq for your farm
(very small, I grow tomatoes on about a dozen plants) in Indiana. Watch
him ponder the ramifications of this purchase. (Does he look like a
terrorist? Why would he really want a Military truck?) He offers you
insurance for $600/yr, you go for it and he drops you 1 month later after
you transfered all of your other cars to his company. (That was part of the
deal) He's sorry but it was the insurance companies decision. (Not his
fault - right?)
19. You get insurance for your beast via some other means and fire that
sucker up and cruise down the highway with all of the fixes you have
applied.
20. You smile a lot because you are the only damn fool on the block who is
nuts enough to go through this process.
21. At night you read Mil Vehicle Mag and ponder your next purchase.
22. Your wife starts to wonder what kind of disease you might have and
whether she still wants to live with you.
23. You suddenly have the urge to haul stuff that normally requires
commercial transport. Mud bogs start to look appealing. You wonder why
everyone doesn't have a CDL and why they didn't offer that to you as an
option during drivers training back in '75. 24. You begin to pray for
severe weather to see if it can really ford to 6 feet with the kit you
installed.
25. You see a stuck Semi as an opportunity to try out your new winch,
forget about being paid for the tug.
26. Olive Drab is now your favorite color.
27. You remain married but you aren't sure if it will outlast the life and
durability of a well made miltary vehicle.

You are forever changed.

Other than this, buying a mil truck has little impact on your life.

And you thought the EUC was the big problem. (;->)

Dave

--
Dave