Re: [MV] [MVlist] A strange email.....

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 12:39:46 PDT

rtait@earthlink.net wrote:

> Rikk,
> You are correct, my computer at home got badly infected by a virus
> yesterday, even though I had an up to date version of NAV running. I have
> to contact Norton to get instructions on how to proceed. In the meantime,
> I have yanked out the phone line so as not to spread this virus (worm?) any
> further.
>
> I apologize for any inconveneince this has caused anyone.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt Tait

MORAL ********: DON'T TRUST AV SW TO PROTECT YOU **************

The AV is ALWAYS behind the infection.

Tips:

1. Don't use MicroSoft browser or email SW (e.g.: Outlook, ...)
2. Set a limit of 10K to 20K on downloaded emails, such that you have to
specifically authorize a larger downloaded file
3. Set you email program NOT to AUTOMATICALLY OPEN any attachment.
4. NEVER, EVER open an attachment with a double file name extension (like
xxxx.pdf.scr)
5. If you don't know the sender, think twice before you open an email

-John