Re: [MV] M52A2 pictures available

From: TacticalTruck@aol.com
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 20:31:49 PDT

In a message dated 6/9/03 12:36:04 PM, ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< I think that the fact that it's a Kaiser-Jeep
makes it pre-1972 (I don't remember the exact cutoff, but I do have a 1970
K-J
shop van, and a 1972 AM General one, so the cutoff should be somewhere
between
the two). >>

>From the AM General corporate site:
In 1970 American Motors Corporation purchased the Kaiser Jeep Corporation
from Kaiser Industries. The Defense and Government Products Division became the
General Products Division of the Jeep Corporation. Shortly after the purchase,
the Division’s Toledo executive offices and Dearborn engineering operations
were relocated to Wayne, Michigan.

On April 1, 1971, the Division was incorporated as AM General Corporation, a
wholly-owned subsidiary of the American Motors Corporation. This move was
initiated to give independent status to AM General in recognition of the
advantages of flexibility and autonomy in fulfilling the special transportation
requirements of the U. S. Government and in pursuing further diversification.
end quote

Mostly, Kaiser-Jeeps should run through 1969, though I have seen some 1970
Kaiser-Jeeps. Most 1970 year model trucks are General Products trucks, though
there are some 1971s. AM General started in 1971. The vast bulk of the five ton
M39A2 series I've seen have been 1968s. There are a fair amount of 66 and 67s
out there. I have a friend that was in the 669th in Vietnam in 1968-69. He
said they went to the factory to pick up their new 1968 M54A2s and drive them to
the docks to ship out. It's just an educated guess on the year of Marks truck.
Jeff