Re: [MV] Pyrometer

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 06:11:49 PDT

> Can anyone recommend a pyrometer brand and/or model to use in my deuce?
>I'd like to permanently install the unit and monitor both before and after
>the turbo. So, either two gauges or a digital one where I can switch to
>either sensor.

My local truck parts store recomended "Ispro" for pyrometers. I have one on
another engine, seems to be fine. It's a "K" type as most seem to be. As
to dual probes, not sure what the reason for that would be. I put the probes
after the turbo more as a safety issue, if the probe breaks off I'd rather
not have it go thru the turbo and destroy it. Plus you need to look at your
exhaust manifold, many turbo'd straight 6's split the manifold flange into
two ports. Reason has to do with back pressure from one early exhuasting
cylinder feeding back into a late exhuasting cylinder (as I recall). Not
sure if the multi fuel engines do this but my Perkins engines are all like
that and I've seen a Cummins like that, only turbo'd straight 6's however.
The reason I bring it up is if you have this then you'd need 3 probes as
there would actually be two seperate exhaust passages into the turbo, front
three cylinders in one and the back three in the other. If found an
explaination of this in a very old Diesel engineernig book.

There is a company that makes a dual scale pyrometer, it has two needles,
meant for two cylinder two stroke engines but it should work just fine for
your application. I have one on my Cushman Trackster and it seems OK so far,
the engine has some strange characteristics and it's nice to be able to see
what each cylinder is doing. As to brand????? I'll have to look, I think
the name on it is Westach but the name of the company is something else. I
know for a fact you can buy the meter from Wilderness ATV in WI at
262-513-6500. They sell the probes but they are meant for 1-3/4" tube, you'd
need different probes most likely, but they are all "K" type.

later,

je