Re: [MV] 4 wheel steering on an M998

From: Vadim Kogan (vadim@XCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 18:40:25 PDT

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 02:05:25PM -0700, Mark J. Blair wrote:

> But seriously, whether somebody has tried it or not, it might be much
> easier to do on a HMMWV than on the typical truck, because the rear wheels
> are already mounted on ball joints with CV joints on the half-shafts, and
> are held in place by adjustable radius rods, which could hypothetically be
> attached to some sort of steering mechanism instead of directly to the
> frame. Maybe a hydraulic steering cylinder, slaved off the front steering
> system in some fashion, would be a way to do it.

My point exactly. And thinks about the reduced turning radius and diagonal
parking. I've seen a movie of a hmmwv with 4ws at www.amghummer.com, but
that seems to be a "2 steering wheels" implementation.

Now that some of the new GM trucks have 4WS, I would imagine there'd be some
newly-inspired interest in it.

Vadim.