Re: [MV] 4 wheel steering on an M998

From: Mark J. Blair (ke6myk_mvlist@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 14:05:25 PDT

Vadim Kogan wrote:
> Has anybody tried (or know somebody who did) to implement 4 wheel steering
> on a HMMWV? I would be very interested to hear about this experience.

Not on purpose, but I did have a loose radius rod on my left rear wheel for a
while, yielding three-wheel steering... :-)

But seriously, whether somebody has tried it or not, it might be much easier
to do on a HMMWV than on the typical truck, because the rear wheels are
already mounted on ball joints with CV joints on the half-shafts, and are held
in place by adjustable radius rods, which could hypothetically be attached to
some sort of steering mechanism instead of directly to the frame. Maybe a
hydraulic steering cylinder, slaved off the front steering system in some
fashion, would be a way to do it.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <ke6myk@sbcglobal.net>
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/