Re: [MV] 4 wheel steering on an M998

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 09:33:42 PDT

Speaking of 'no batteries', Stewart and Stevenson has a new military
truck which has an electric drive, and a 400KW generator attached to
the engine. It uses no batteries, but instead uses 'ultracapacitors'
also known as supercapacitors, which have very high capacitances. The
rep told me that you start the truck off of the charge stored in the
caps. On top of that, if the truck is dead, you can start it from 13 D
cells. I thought this was preposterous until I did the math. 13 amp
hours per D cell. 780 amp-minutes. No you can't take this directly
from the cells, but after the cells discharge themselves into the
capacitor bank, it spins the diesel just fine. Their video shows the
truck driving up to an electrical outbuilding, and being connected to
power runway lights. 400KW 3 phase power and a big bad cargo truck.
(DROOL!)