Re: [MV] What Kind of Tank Is This? M5A1

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 08:42:54 PDT

Nige,

>Gentlemen,Its an M5 for certain - see the port on the side of the turret -
>its not present on the M5A1 tanks.

Crap! Forgot about that as a flag for which is which ;-) From the
pictures I couldn't really tell if the turret had the extension in back
for the radio, but now looking more carefully at the pics I can see that
the evidence was there.

Ryan,

> Square vs Pizza shaped Turret Crew hatches

For me I generally do not think of turret and hull features which are not
visible from eye height as a way of telling the difference between this
or that model. The reason is that we RARELY see pictures of these areas,
either historic or like the ones that started this thread, since the
camera is usually not shooting down ontop of the vehicle. If we can't
see 'me, we can't use 'em for identification :-)

Anyhoo... my main point was that the extra AAMG armor on the side of the
turret only rules out a M5 model, but its absence doesn't mean anything
either way since many (majority?) of M5A1s did not have this added feature.

Steve