Re: [MV] Pipe bender? Affordable?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 08:36:24 PDT

Yes, I have heard about using vinegar also. I know that the sop for
painting galvanized gutter 30+ years ago (before plastic and alumunum stuff
was widely available) was to etch the gutters with a mild acid solution,
then rinse, dry and apply an oil base primer paint. Now I believe that the
best thing is to etc, rinse, dry and use a latex based paint. But I'd
check with paint manufacturers as these recommendations seem to keep
changing over time.

I remember something about the white mild before welding also, but I
haven't heard of that for a long time.

The bottom line is that painting galvanized is a pain in the Axx. If you
are lucky it won't peel.

FWIW, I made an exhaust for my 78 chevy van over 10 years ago, I used 2
1/4" hot dipped fence posts (I was low on cash) for the pipe. It still
looks like I made it yesterday. It just doesn't rust. I used a Mig
welder to weld up the pipes. I drive the van about once a month, so it's
not like I use the van a lot. Even the weld joints don't rust since the
Zinc acts as a sacrificial anode. The fumes are nasty though so take the
required precautions when welding as said before.

Dave

--
Dave